On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 01:50:44 -0800, Allen Esterson wrote:
>On 18 November 2010 Mike Palij wrote:
>>Even in NYC I think people forget how often they are under
>>surveillance. A situation like initially seems shocking until
>>one realizes, oh yeah, there's someone watching us
>>most of the time.
>
>Purely on the accuracy of this statement (with no intention to start a
>discussion on the over-use of surveillance cameras :-) ), is it true
>that "there's someone watching us most of the time"?

Let me explain myself, also without intent to start a discussion
on the overuse of surveillance cameras.

Allen appears to be making a (subtle?) distinction between:

(1) someone actually watching a video feed in real time

and

(2) mere recording of activity on video which may or may not
be viewed.

Both of these activities occur though the person being video
recorded probably will not know whether the case is (1) or (2).

Take NYU for instance.  Since 09/11/01, anyone entering an
NYU building has to present a valid NYU ID to enter.  The
NYU Psychology building has had similar procedures in place
before 09/11 especially in the off-hours when classes were not
in session but people were working in their offices and/or labs.
This was due to threats from animal rights protesters who objected
to the research being done there (some of which involved surgery
which might be done at night).

In the Psych building there is a "security" booth in the lobby with
a campus security person and video monitors.  Over the years the
monitors have ranged from several units providing a single feed of
real-time video at critical points in the building to today where a large
screen monitor supports something like 16-24 video feeds.  I haven't
asked but I assume that the security person has access to many other
feeds if the need arises.  Since a number of these scenes involved entry
points from the street or activity on certain floors, the security person
has to pay some attention to the monitors to determine whether
anything significant is happening (e.g., is the person trying to enter
by a side door just confused about the entrance to the building or
are they trying to crack into the building).

In addition, overnight, a security person walks the floors and has to
scan/check in at specific points on each floor (I got to know a few
security people this way while burning the late night oil).

Today, depending upon the building and what goes on there,
there is often a security booth and many have monitors for
video feeds for locations in the building.  When I walk by the
main security office on campus (which is in a storefront), one
can see a wall full of screens with video feeds from a variety
of sources in university buildings, public spaces, and nearby areas.
There are people watching these screens though I am sure that there
is an ebb and flow of attention, in part because the probability
of some bad event occurring is very low at certain times and
the risks increase at other times.

Is there some video recording that is not watched continuously
or only examined in quick scan mode?  Undoubtedly.  Video of
doorways that are supposed to locked and have no traffic
don't need much attention (that is, until there is an unauthorized
opening).  Security knows where crimes and other problems
are likely to occur on campus and maybe they know when they
should be paying attention to their monitors.  In places like the
lobby of Bobst library, the security desk has monitors and the
security people also scan the floors of the atrium (students
sometimes like to drop things on the security desk even though
Plexiglas panels have been put up to eliminates student dropping
things or themselves).

In addition, local buildings and businesses often have their own
cameras (often conspicuously located on the outside of the
building).  I wouldn't be surprised if the video from these cameras
are not frequently watched, as in the cases that Allen describes.
But, what is the point of stretching out this point?  That some
video sources may be monitored more frequently then others?
As someone who just sees the camera(s), how would one know
who is watching now, later, or never?

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6597
or send a blank email to
leave-6597-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu