It is my understanding that products are still effective 10 days beyond their expiration date.
Michael
----- Original Message ----- From: <sbl...@ubishops.ca> To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [tips] Canada's early intolerance

Despite Allen E's declaration that this thread, with its unlikely
subject header, has reached its "sell-by-date" (that's "best by" to
Canucks), I can't restrain myself here.

I had asserted that the word "verbiage" used by Michael Smith to
describe certain TIPS posters carried an insulting connotation. Mike
rashly denied this, arguing

I disagree. I don't see the word verbiage to be an insult. It means an
over-abundance of words.

True. But it means more than that. The magisterial Oxford English
Dictionary (the OED) says, as part of its brief definition of
"verbiage, "Wording...without necessity or without much meaning".

That's an insult in my book (well, ok in the OED's book).

Lesser lights concur.

World English Dictionary
verbiage - n

1. The...often meaningless use of words

Computing Dictionary
verbiage definition

This term borrows the connotations of mainstream "verbiage" to
suggest that the documentation is of marginal utility and that the
motives behind its production have little to do with the ostensible
subject.

The Oxford Dictionary (another one, I guess)

A profusion of words usually of little or obscure content

Collins English Dictionary

1. the excessive and often meaningless use of words

And finally, my wife agrees with me, so I must be right.

So, Mike, I'm willing to admit that some of my posts may be too long
if you admit  that yours are verbiage.

Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus