On 13 Dec 2010 at 2:10, Allen Esterson wrote:

> And, I would add, between Asian and British schooling as well. Some
> idea of the differences, and an indication that China is likely to
> experience a surge in scientific achievements in the coming years, can
> be seen from this article:
>
> http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/6526228/the-gaokao-challenge.thtml

The link which Allen provided cites an ambitious continuing study
carried out by the OECD (Organization for Economic Co-Operation and
Development) called PISA (for Programme for International Student
Assessment--see http://tinyurl.com/53x42).

Its findings are interesting yet puzzling. They're also gratifying to
me, because they show (2009 data) that Canada is listed near the top
in terms of the school achievement of 15-year-olds as determined by
standardized tests. For what it's worth, the rankings as given on the
4th page of Allen's link shows China (Shanghai) at the top of the
list, Canada in 6th  position, the USA in 17th, and the UK in 25th
(full listings, ranked but unnumbered, at
http://www.pisa.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/12/46643496.pdf )

The puzzle is to understand the reasons behind the ranks. While Asian
countries are among the highest, the presence of Finland and Canada
among them prevents any easy generalization. Actually, I'm surprised
to find us up there, because I can't think of any school policy of
ours that is particularly notable, innovative, or effective. But we
must be doing something right.  Possible reasons for the rankings may
well be buried somewhere in the documentation for PISA, but I
couldn't find it.

One problem with such a massive cross-country comparison is that the
method by which students are selected may have a biasing effect on
the results, for example, if a country selects only elite students to
take the tests.

All they say about it is this:

"Reporting student data

The report uses "15-year-olds" as shorthand for the PISA target
population. PISA covers students who are aged between 15 years 3
months and 16 years 2 months at the time of assessment and who have
completed at least 6 years of formal schooling, regardless of the
type of institution in which they are enrolled and of whether they
are in full-time or parttime education, whether they attend academic
or vocational programmes, and whether they attend public or private
schools or foreign schools within the country. "
(http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/31/28/46660259.pdf )

But they don't say how those institutions are selected.

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University