----- Original Message ----- From: "Allen Esterson" <allenester...@compuserve.com> To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:52 AM
Subject: Re:[tips] Teacher evaluations and learning

On 13 December Stephen Black wrote in relation to comparative tests of
school student achievements in different countries:
One problem with such a massive cross-country
comparison is that the method by which students
are selected may have a biasing effect on the
results, for example, if a country selects only elite
students to take the tests.

I have an issue with the elite class and academic success.Being elitist itself has more to do with possibility of opportunities because of access to resources that they may not be available to the other classes..I know about this because when I went to secondary schools in St.Lucia and Trinidad,all the British and other white kids had special transportation to the schools by yachts and cars.But the black kids had one idea implanted in them by their parents and that is the idea that blacks were superior and smarter than those British and smart kids.The black kids outdone the other kids in academics. The black kids use to taunt the white kids about how dumb they were even though they came to school on yachts. My half-brother who attended St.Francis Xavier in Antigonish,Nova Scotia sent many reports of how Caribbean kids were excelling in academics over their Caribbean counterparts.Assuming an attitude of superiority apparently worked and I suspect that this is what is happening in China.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=7205
or send a blank email to