Re Beth Benoit's appreciative response to the spoof Freud interview:
>The actor actually covers some basic points that students might
>note, though of course a couple of them are questionable.

Beth: What do you have in mind here?

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

Re: [tips] Freud interview
Beth Benoit
Mon, 08 Aug 2011 06:33:40 -0700
Allen, that interview is very funny.  I think many of us could use it
for a
light moment in the classroom when covering Freud.  The actor actually
covers some basic points that students might note, though of course a
couple
of them are questionable.  Those who teach in a classroom where
students (or
administration) might be offended by something like a large, pink sex
toy
might do well to view the video before showing in class, but I think
it's
wonderful and am saving it for my Intro. course.  Thanks, Allen!

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Allen Esterson
<allenester...@compuserve.com
> wrote:

> While trying to track down online a 1938 BBC interview with Freud that
> featured in a recent TV documentary I came across another one that
> TIPSters may find informative:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1tL_iT3Rw0
>
> Incidental point on dubious attribution: "Sometimes a cigar is just a
> cigar."
>
> No source has ever been found for this. Re-checking online I came
> across the following:
>
> "I've done some research on this attributed quotation in the past. The
> best I was able to come up with is that it was attributed to Freud by
> one of his students (in an interview). However, I don't have the
source
> of that information available. Now if anyone could trace that elusive
> quote about the mind being an iceberg (etc etc), that would make my
day
> -- the iceberg reference comes up _everywhere_ and I've never been
able
> to find it. -- Casper H. (n...@nonono.com), September 12, 2003."
>
> http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00BGBz
>
> Longterm TIPSters will be familiar with second item mentioned here.
:-)

> Allen Esterson
> Former lecturer, Science Department
> Southwark College, London