Hi, Joan! I fear my wording must have misled you! What I wrote was this:
>In physical science any important experimental claim requires
>independent replication before being accepted by peers.

By "being accepted by peers" I was not referring to peer review, which
is what your response seems to imply, but generally accepted by those
in the relevant field competent to make a judgement after independent
replication has been obtained. (I was certainly not referring to
publication. Unless it is published relevant scientists round the world
would not be in a position to assess the claimed result and -- for
those in a position to --- to undertake experiments to replicate it.)

>I also would be interested in who conducts these replication studies

Anybody who has sufficient expertise and can drum up the finances from
their university department!

>and what type of relationship they have with the researchers
>involved in the initial important experimental claim.

They would normally have no direct relationship with the original
researchers.

I can't claim universality on what I wrote, only on significant
experimental results that affect theoretical concepts. Some classic
examples:

1. The recent claim to have discovered that under certain conditions
neutrinos can exceed the speed of light. ('nuff said!)

2. When the first claims to have produced cold fusion were published,
physicists around the world set out to try to replicate the results –
so far without sufficient success to convince the relevant part of the
physics community:
http://tinyurl.com/6cwgtze

3. Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassmann performed the first known experiment
in Berlin in 1938 that produced nuclear fission. However, being
chemists, they needed a physicist to explain what had happened. :-)
Hahn sent the results to his erstwhile physicist colleague Lise
Meitner, who had recently had to flee Germany to Sweden as she was
Jewish. Visiting her just at that time was her physicist nephew Otto
Frisch (who was at Copenhagen working with Niels Bohr), and together
they worked out the theoretical explanation of the experiment. As soon
as Frisch was back in Copenhagen he set out to confirm Hahn and
Strassman's discovery, and published his confirmation in 1939.
http://www.chemheritage.org/discover/chemistry-in-history/themes/atomic-and-nuclear-structure/hahn-meitner-strassman.aspx

Joan writes:
>And to add something new to the mix, how much do the biases
>of the review committees for journals contribute to determining
>which studies are worth of being published or not?  Of course,
>that's a whole different prickly area to ponder but certainly one
>worth exploring.

Absolutely! An interesting discussion of the issues here:
http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/rethinking-peer-review

And here:
"Peer review is like democracy was to Churchill: the worst form of
government except all
those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/21stC/issue-1.1/peer.htm

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London