This has in large measure been the message that I give my students.  I'm not an
APA maniac; copy editors are (or should be).  I would rather my students spend
their energy on writing good papers, and as long as they do the important
things (references need to be accurate, citations need to match references,
information is in the right places, like that), I'm not going to spend a lot of
my time on APA format.  I stress that there's a reason we do things the way we
do (so that we can find things, so that we give proper attribution, etc.), but
more important to me is that they learn to use good thinking and the literature
to justify their hypotheses, they learn how a paper is put together, and that
they understand why these things are important: reading well-written and
well-organized papers is hard enough work.

PS  True story: in grad school we helped my advisor review a submission to
Psych Science.  It was so (to borrow Scott's term) egregiously bad that in his
(rejection) letter to the authors, Bill Estes wrote, "APS is not in the
business of teaching APA format."  Ouch.

--
Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by Baker University ("BU") and is intended to be confidential and for
the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be
protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal
rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify Baker University by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=22759
or send a blank email to
leave-22759-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu