Hi

People have been noting various transformations, depending on reversing or not
the original.  In essence many common transformations can be conceptualized as
the original scores raised to various powers, with the powers being greater
than or less than 1.

x^-1 = reciprocal 1/x
x^~0 = logarithmic
x^.5 = square root
x^1 = original
x^2 = ...

I'm mostly used to thinking of these in terms of various non-linear
relationships (powers < 1 compress upper end, powers > 1 expand upper end), but
some of these will increase skewness and others will decrease it, depending on
the direction of skew. Possible to experiment with them to observe effect.

Perhaps also worth plotting some of the relationships you are interested in?

Take care
Jim

Jim Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology