Hi All: A few years ago, we provisionally switched to R for our intro stats and
lab methods courses, largely because we've turned over our departmental stats
teaching to a new cross-disciplinary program in quantitative methods that uses
R (this is part of a big university-wide initiative on quantitative methods).
On the positive side, the reports are that our undergraduates are able to learn
the basics using R.  On the negative side, the problem is that when they enter
our labs for research (as many or most of them do given that we are at a
research-intensive university), most have no SPSS experience and hence require
a great deal of additional training.  The problem is that few faculty members
in psychology, myself included, know R - almost all of us use SPSS - so this
transition is creating problems for both undergraduates and faculty members
(not to mention graduate students and postdocs, who often end up having to do
the extra training for the undergraduates).

We will soon be reevaluating the provisional decision to switch to R, and may
end up reversing it.  I'm not sure.  I do know that at least some of our
faculty have expressed misgivings.

..Scott

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Professor