Is R like vi?  "Vi is very user friendly.  It's just picky about its friends."

PS  Although I got pretty adept with it, I still hate it.  It is vile.
(Speaking of, "Vile" is apparently a more user-friendly version of vi.)

From: Hugh Foley [mailto:hfo...@skidmore.edu]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2014 1:50 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] statistics teaching: SPSS vs R

Last year, some students from my adv stats course (taught with SPSS) asked me
to teach them R in the spring. I knew nothing about R, but I'd enjoyed using
Field's SPSS text to supplement Keppel & Wickens and knew that he had a version
with R:

http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Statistics-Using-Andy-Field/dp/1446200469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408732248&sr=8-1&keywords=andy+field+r

I'm sure that Field is not to everyone's liking, but I enjoy his irreverent
examples and his stats knowledge seems solid.

Here's my take on my R adventure...

It's admirable that people are actively working on R. It may well survive for a
long time. That's the good news. The bad news is that people are actively
working on R. That means that stuff breaks with new versions. (As in the many
pieces of software incompatible with new versions of an OS.) For example, I
think that some of the programs that Field developed for R (in a 2012 text)
won't work with the newest versions of R for Mac. And a nice package for post
hoc analyses wouldn't work with the latest Mac version (for Mavericks
compatibility...and Yosemite is on the horizon...EEK). That said, I could get
all the "big" analyses to work by using examples from Field's text within
RStudio. (It may all be easier on a PC.)

I would argue that with sufficient investment of time (but see David below),
learning R with a supporting text (such as Field's) could lead to mastery of a
package that would be even more powerful than SPSS in lots of ways. People seem
to be developing statistical software for R all the time, while SPSS seems
fairly stagnant for software that isn't business related.

I'll be teaching adv stats again this fall (for the last time). I will surely
use SPSS, but I may accompany each example in SPSS with R code.

Hugh

On Aug 22, 2014, at 10:13 AM, David Epstein