> why humans feel the need to categorize and break groups down into
> subcategories.

I guess the psychological need for categories is especially acute when it comes
to sexual matters.  We’re so anxious about sex as it is and as the lines blur
between what have long been two easily distinguishable categories (male/female)
I would expect the need for categories would rise, if only so we can better
understand (and explain to our students) what the differences are between
people with different orientations, behaviors, etc. As the the next comment
points out:

> in general, today's gay and lesbian communities are characterized by a
> kaleidoscopic variety of "types" and a generally more playful attitude toward
> gender.  Self-identified butch and femme lesbians still exist, but the rules
> have loosened.  No one would be surprised to see two butch or two femme
> lesbians forming a couple, for example.

Regarding “…a playful attitude towards gender”: I find that my gay friends
(typical caveats: small sample size, confirmation bias, etc., etc.) do indeed
seem to be more playful/tolerant about the variety of sexual behaviors we see
today.  There’s almost a “Isn’t that quaint” response among young people
(especially gays?) when they see the stereotypical male/female roles in
heterosexual couples.

> McCreary (1994) pointed out how men who appear "effeminate" are more likely
> to be perceived as gay, while women who have masculine traits may be less
> likely to be seen as gay.

An interesting observation.  Made in 1994 but still true - we allow women more
leeway in how they express themselves than we do men.

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com