Beth,

I thought the “checking for possible new social media messages” behavior was a
variable interval schedule because you don’t actually have to do anything in
order to get a message - eventually one of your friends will post something.

Although one could argue that you’re more likely to get some kind of response
from your friends when you do something - in this case you post something to a
social network (a picture to instagram for example).  Which would make this a
variable ratio schedule…Hmm…

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com