What brought Price up, Mike?

I remember writing a paper about him and his equation in a graduate philosophy
seminar many years ago.
(As I recall, no one else in the room understood what a variance was, which
made it a little tricky to explain why the equation was such a breakthrough —
even though it seems to still get relatively scant mention even today.)

Chris
…..
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Canada
43.773895°, -79.503670°

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo
………………………………...

On Sep 18, 2016, at 12:11 PM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu> wrote:

> George R. Price was born in NYC and would go down a crooked
> road that would ultimately lead to the Galton Lab where he would
> produced what is now referred to as the "Price Equation" that
> attempts to explain why altruism exists if evolutionary theory is
> correct.  An interesting -- if depressing -- account of his life and
> its twists and turns is presented in the following article, which
> puts Price's life in the context of a female British playwright who
> would write a play about Price; see:
> http://mosaicscience.com/story/George-Price-altruism-equation?utm_source=narratively&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekender09182016
> NOTE: at the bottom of the article is a reference list but one
> has to click on the "reference bar" to see them.
>
> For more "straight " info on Price, there entries in Wikipedia
> that provide more information but leaving out some of the details
> in the article above:
> The biographical entry on Price:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._Price
> On the Price Equation:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_equation
> An entry on a movie where the Price equation plays
> a critical role:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%CE%94Z
> NOTE: The original title of the movie is "W (Greek Symbol delta) Z"
> which is a part of the equation. In the U.S., the movie
> was released with the title "The Killing Gene" which is
> available on Amazon:
> https://www.amazon.com/Killing-Gene-Barbara-Adair/dp/B00151QY9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474212073&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Killing+Gene
>
> I think that one can't help feeling sorry for Price because
> though he was brilliant in certain ways, he did not have the
> self-insight to understand how he would ultimately destroy
> himself.
>
> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.edu