For those with compatible routers, I highly recommend Tomato firmware as a replacement to what your vendor offers. DD-WRT runs on more routers, and with more features, at the cost of ease-of-use and some would say stability.
Tomato-compatible routers: http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#what_will_this_run_on DD-WRT: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database ________________________________ From: Bill Kearney <[email protected]> To: [email protected] Sent: Thu, December 10, 2009 9:05:55 AM Subject: Re: [TiVo Central] TiVo drops off the network >I agree, the router should boot back up when the power is restored with the > same SSID as it had (that's one thing my father sees changing), as well as > the fact that all security is gone. And you're sure it's not *another* router nearby? One configured with the same SSID? Like one also left to factory default naming and channel? Have him hard reset the router and set it up from scratch. Be SURE to rename the SSID and change the default channel. If a hard reset to factory defaults and re-configuring doesn't work then it's the router. I'm skeptical it's the router. > I suspect it's just a bad router at > this point, I think it's a Linksys unit, just not sure which model. I'm > suggesting a new one, he's shopping. You could always bring one for Xmas. > The funny part is all the issues started when he finally realized the > router > and modem don't have to sit on the desk if everything is wifi, so he moved > it out of sight after some renovations, and now that going wired isn't > practical, that's when the problems started. He'd always been wifi > before, > but it didn't lose it's settings all the time. > They had a battery backup, it caught fire. He's not real anxious to try > another one. That's pretty rare. Unless abused or unmaintained they're pretty reliable. They don't last forever and usually need a new battery after 3 years or so. I've used them, as have hundreds of clients, without issue for ages. Try a better unit, APC makes decent ones. I'd also wonder about the electrical wiring situation. Florida is notorious for contractor construction nonsense. If there's wiring problems that might explain the UPS problem. -Bill ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
