Hi Tom,
I tried to add the beru: to the start of the file, and it gets read now (I also
think it needs to be in the main contest directory, not the one with the rules
in it), however I am getting the following error message:

   Welcome to tlf-1.4.0 by PA0R!!

Reading country data
Reading configuration data
Reading config file: logcfg.dat
Reading contest rules file: rules/beru*** buffer overflow detected ***:
terminated
  Aborted

It is a long list of countries, but trimming it back doesn't help.
Putting a short country list in the rules file does get read, but doesn't seem
to affect scoring, all contacts are given 5 points (as I set with CWPOINTS=5),
and also points for my call area while I set MY_COUNTRY_POINTS=0

Attached my config files.

No panic, as I'm not relying on it for scoring points, it'd be nice to get it
working though.
Thanks,
Gerard, ZL2GVA