Ryan Hamilton <r...@google.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Geoffrey Keating <geo...@geoffk.org>
> wrote:
>
> > So, I don't think HTTP is generally safe against attacker-forced
> > replay, and would suggest great caution in allowing it.
> >

> It's worth keeping in mind this recent paper about Replay attacks against
> HTTPS <http://blog.valverde.me/2015/12/07/bad-life-advice/#.VucOsJMrIxN>.
> TL;DR: Attackers can already force a browser to replay requests basically
> at will. ​As a result, it's not clear that 0-RTT replay makes this
> situation worse.

The blog indicates that it's possible to cause a browser to repeat a
request exactly once, within a short timeframe (probably 60 seconds or
so) before the browser times out; and the browser must not see the
first request succeed.  That's quite different from being able to let
a client make and complete a request, and then being to repeat that
request thousands of times over a period of hours or longer; even if
the client is a browser, it might be hard to convince it to do that.