On Tue 2016-08-30 16:14:06 -0400, Hubert Kario wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 August 2016 14:19:33 CEST Dave Garrett wrote:
>> * Keep the version ID as { 3, 4 } (already weird counting; changing risks
>> more intolerance)
>
> IMNSHO this alone is enough of a reason not to do this
>
> it's enough explaining to people that SSLv3.3 is really TLSv1.2, now we'll
> have SSLv3.4 == TLSv1.3 == TLSv2.0
>
> it's silly at this point

Who are you talking to who's fine with looking at the bytes on the wire
but isn't fine with understanding that a 16-bit field might not map
directly to our imagination of decimal?

If that mapping really matters, We could combine this with Erik Nygren's
version inflation suggestion and just jump straight to TLS 34 :P

https://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters/tls-parameters.xhtml
doesn't have a "TLS version" registry.  Would it be simpler to have IANA
create that and just populate it with:

  Value | Description | Reference
   0x30 |    SSLv3    | RFC 6101, RFC 7568
   0x31 |   TLSv1.0   | RFC 2246
   0x32 |   TLSv1.1   | RFC 4346
   0x33 |   TLSv1.2   | RFC 5246
   0x34 |    TLSv4    | RFC XXXX

Then you could tell people to just look it up in the table.

        --dkg, tongue only marginally in cheek