On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Ackermann, Michael
<mackerm...@bcbsm.com> wrote:
>  I am not sure I understand what your reply means?
>
> Is it that we should create or even allow an environment to develop,  where
> all providers of service cannot  provide effective diagnostics and support?
> And then see the constituents of these industries collapse together.     And
> only then realize we have an issue?
> I hope I am  not understanding correctly.     IETF is supposed to be looking
> ahead to provide better answers and circumvent predictable problems.    Not
> ignoring,  waiting and then reacting to negative situations that can and
> should be avoided.

What exactly is the problem you are concerned with? As I've pointed
out previously one can still log the contents of TLS protected
connections: you do this at the client, or with an intercepting proxy.
What information does this not get you that you need on the network?

> What I am saying,  in relation to your "Delivering a stable product"  comment
> is that over time various industries have learned what it takes to "Deliver a
> stable product".    We did not want to invest millions in these debugging
> networks.   But  we learned the hard way,  that it was necessary.
> I am not a member of the banking coalition that started this subject,  nor of
> the banking industry at all,  but I certainly understand their perspective
> and am concerned about  the same unmanageable future they described.

Do  Akami, Cloudlflare and Google magically not have these problems?

> Thanks
>
> Mike

"Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains".
--Rousseau.