Hi list,

I am sorry for the very late answer concerning draft 18, but we
(ANSSI) have several remarks after proof-reading the current
specification.

We are sorry for the multiple long messages.

If the WG is interested by some of our concerns/proposals, we would be
glad to propose some PRs.

= PSK and PSK Binder =

P.35 (4.2), it is specified that the pre_shared_key extension must be
the last extension in the ClientHello, because of the way the PSK
Binder is computed.  This seems very hackish and will most certainly
lead to implementation errors.  However, I understand that it was not
easy to propose a cleaner mechanism while keeping a common flow
between *DHE and PSK modes.

Yet, we would have preferred that PSK would not be MTI as stated in
the end of the document (P.81, section 8.2).  In previous versions PSK
and resumption was not MTI, so it might be logical to keep it this
way.  Alternatively, we might propose a profile defining a simpler TLS
subset.

Regarding the definition of the PSK Binder (P. 45 and 46, section
4.2.6.1), we found it very hard to read, since the binding value is
said to be computed as the Finished message, but differently.  In
particular, it would be useful to give the relevant information (I
believe the Handshake Context is called transcript in this section,
and it would be important to explicit the Hash to use), instead of
implying it.  It would not take much space in the document, but it
would ensure implementers know how to compute the binder.

Olivier Levillain