On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Olivier Levillain <
olivier.levill...@ssi.gouv.fr> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am sorry for the very late answer concerning draft 18, but we
> (ANSSI) have several remarks after proof-reading the current
> specification.
>
> We are sorry for the multiple long messages.
>
> If the WG is interested by some of our concerns/proposals, we would be
> glad to propose some PRs.
>

> = PSK and PSK Binder =
>
> P.35 (4.2), it is specified that the pre_shared_key extension must be
> the last extension in the ClientHello, because of the way the PSK
> Binder is computed.  This seems very hackish and will most certainly
> lead to implementation errors.  However, I understand that it was not
> easy to propose a cleaner mechanism while keeping a common flow
> between *DHE and PSK modes.

I agree that this is piece is a little structurally unfortunate. It was a
compromise between a number of different imperatives and this ended
up being the best.

Yet, we would have preferred that PSK would not be MTI as stated in
> the end of the document (P.81, section 8.2).  In previous versions PSK
> and resumption was not MTI, so it might be logical to keep it this
> way.  Alternatively, we might propose a profile defining a simpler TLS
> subset.

I agree with this comment. I don't think the WG ever had consensus
to require PSK, it was just a side effect of trying to specify a list of
MTI extensions. I have filed https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/issues/771
keep track of this.

Regarding the definition of the PSK Binder (P. 45 and 46, section
> 4.2.6.1), we found it very hard to read, since the binding value is
> said to be computed as the Finished message, but differently.  In
> particular, it would be useful to give the relevant information (I
> believe the Handshake Context is called transcript in this section,
> and it would be important to explicit the Hash to use), instead of
> implying it.  It would not take much space in the document, but it
> would ensure implementers know how to compute the binder.

OK. I will see if I can figure out how to rewrite this to make it clearer.

-Ekr