Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-d...@dukhovni.org> writes:

>So I'd like to see the text in the first paragraph changed to a SHOULD or
>worst-case a qualified "MUST whenever possible".

Why is that whole thing even there in the first place?  From the previous
discussions where this came up, the pretty much universal consensus was that
people were ignoring the requirement because it served no obvious purpose
but broke interoperability.  Unless you're a server operator that chooses to
buy a whole bunch of $995 certs, one per algorithm, from a CA that allows
you to choose which algorithm gets used for signing, the whole thing is
completely inapplicable.  You send whatever cert chain the CA gave you to
the client, and it's up to them to decide whether they want to accept or
reject.  What would be lost by simply removing that entire block of text,
since it's being ignored by implementers anyway?  The solution is to remove
it, not to fiddle with it until it becomes a no-op that matches what
everyone is doing anyway.

(This seems to be getting like PKIX where a mistake is never actually
corrected, just watered down again and again over successive iterations of a
spec until it's finally quietly dropped when no-one is looking).

Peter.