On Friday, 2 December 2016 03:12:41 CET Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Tony Arcieri <basc...@gmail.com> writes:
> >There's already ample material out there (papers, presentations, mailing
> >list discussions, etc) which talks about "TLS 1.3".
>
> In other words, the TLS WG and a small number of people who interact with it
> call it TLS 1.3.  That's hardly a strong argument when most of the rest of
> the world doesn't even call it TLS.
>
> In fact that's something that's come up repeatedly in the bikeshedding so
> far, there are some really good, sound arguments for calling it TLS/SSL 4
> or TLS/SSL 2017, while pretty much the only reasons I've seen for TLS 1.3
> are inertia, "we've always called it that"/"I don't want to change"/etc.

People already know that SSL3 is worse than "SSL" 1.0 though 1.2 , it's
logical that SSL 1.3 continues that trend. creating "SSL" 4 will bring more
confusion.

In 10 years time, when the only way for you to get anything that can talk SSL
3 is to run EOL software and hardware, then we can create "SSL" 4. But not
when one fifth of the Internet still supports SSL 3.

--
Regards,
Hubert Kario