On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 05:49:51PM -0400, Victor Vasiliev wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just gone through this thread and I'm having a very hard time
> > understanding what the actual substantive argument is about.
> >

> I believe at this point we mostly disagree on what specific scenarios
> are and are not a concern that should be solved by TLS layer.
> Replay/retry distinction might be at core for some disagreements.
>
> Let me lay out what I think we all agree on.
> >
> > 1. As long as 0-RTT is declinable (i.e., 0-RTT does not cause
> >    connection failures) then a DKG-style attack where the client
> >    replays the 0-RTT data in 1-RTT is possible.
> >

> Correct.

Err, how does not failing connection enable DKG-style attack?

If connection failed on 0-RTT failure, the client would then
presumably just establish a new one (if it can) without 0-RTT,
and we are where we started (the client doesn't even gain
additional knowledge, because 0-RTT ACK exists today).

But failing the connection on 0-RTT failure is not nice on
other grounds.

> > 3. Allowing the attacker to generate an arbitrary number of 0-RTT
> >    replays without client intervention is dangerous even if
> >    the application implements replay-safe semantics.
> >

> Correct, and the specific number is highly situational.

For some attacks, it is pretty low (few dozens or less or so),
especially if you can distribute across servers.

> > 4. If implemented properly, both a single-use ticket and a
> >    strike-register style mechanism make it possible to limit
> >    the number of 0-RTT copies which are processed to 1 within
> >    a given zone (where a zone is defined as having consistent
> >    storage), so the number of accepted copies of the 0-RTT
> >    data is N where N is the number of zones.
> >

> Correct.  Session caches are inherently bound to a single zone.

Which together with "multi-server" attacks imply that 0-RTT tickets
need to be bound to a zone (when doing 0-RTT).

Of course, even only using tickets for 0-RTT in one zone, while
accepting them to skip signatures on others would still leave the
FS problems.

> > 5. Implementing the level of coherency to get #4 is a pain.
> >

> Yes.

Interestingly, the required coherency is quite easy for small sites
(run off VPS or container), it is large sites (multiple datacenters)
that have problems.

-Ilari