On 21/07/2017 14:23, Hubert Kario wrote:
> Signature Algorithms for ECDSA now define both the curve and the hash
> algorithm:
>
> ecdsa_secp256r1_sha256(0x0403), ecdsa_secp384r1_sha384(0x0503),
> ecdsa_secp521r1_sha512(0x0603),
>
> This is in contrast to the TLS 1.2 protocol, where any hash can be used
> with any curve.
>
> There are good reasons for that change: - less combinations to test -
> establishes the low water mart for security
>
> I see few problems with that though: 1). there are not insignificant number
> of clients that advertise support for all (at least P-256 and P-384)
> curves, but don't advertise support for hashes stronger than SHA-256 with
> ECDSA[1] 2). This is inconsistent with RSA-PSS behaviour, where key size is
> completely detached from the used hash algorithm. 3). This is not how ECDSA
> signatures in X.509 work, so it doesn't actually limit the signatures on
> certificates (in other words, as an implementer you need to support all
> hashes with all curves either way)

There is another and significant problem with the change. In TLS 1.2 support
for a curve was indicated in the supported curves extension and it implied
support for ECDH and ECDSA. This has changed in TLS 1.3: curves in the
supported groups extension are for ECDH only. Support for a curve for ECDSA is
indicated in the signature algorithms extension.

I agree though that there is an anomaly here. For example AFAICS in
certificates for TLS1.3 you're allowed (with some caveats) to use a
P-256+SHA-1 signature (which has security concerns) but P-256 + SHA512 is not
allowed at all. Is that likely to be a problem in practice? Are there many
such certificates about in the wild?

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.