On 8/4/2017 10:39 AM, Adam Langley wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 5:50 AM, Sean Turner <s...@sn3rd.com
> <mailto:s...@sn3rd.com>> wrote:
>
>     At our IETF 99 session, there was support in the room to adopt
>     draft-huitema-tls-sni-encryption [0].  We need to confirm this
>     support on the list so please let the list know whether you
>     support adoption of the draft and are willing to review/comment on
>     the draft before 20170818.  If you object to its adoption, please
>     let us know why.
>

> Section two of the draft discusses the design space, which is to be
> welcomed, but also MUST/MUST NOTs sections of that design space. While
> I generally agree with its opinions, it's confused about whether it's
> a technical document or a policy document. If it decides to be a
> policy document, then I'm unconvinced of its utility.
Clearly, Section 2 could be turned into some kind of 'problem statement"
draft. I personally don't like splitting problem statement and proposed
solution in separate documents, but if that's the group consensus, why not.

> If it wants to be a technical document, then the draft includes two
> very different designs with a note saying that one will be chosen at
> some point. So which are we talking about adopting? While drafts
> evolve during the WG process, there's a big gap between the two ideas
> and I'd support one but not the other.

My goal was to list the current state of solutions. The document could
be split with different drafts presenting different solutions, but I
believe there is value in an attempt at unification.

--
Christian Huitema