As I expressed on a separate thread, I think tunneling TLS is a very
interesting problem with many potential use cases, from SNI encryption to
egress proxies to service discovery proxies (e.g. linkerd, Envoy).

SNI encryption is one of the use cases, but SNI encryption is pointless
until we have encrypted DNS. That's not to say we shouldn't work on SNI
encryption, but that SNI encryption isn't immediately valuable, whereas I
think there are many other TLS tunneling use cases where the same proposed
mechanism is immediately valuable as opposed to a future "when the DNS
loophole is closed" scenario for SNI encryption.

I am all for tunneling as a general WG item, but I think framing the
discussion specifically in terms of SNI encryption is missing the forest
for the trees.

--
Tony Arcieri