De: TLS <tls-boun...@ietf.org> en nombre de Stan Kalisch
<s...@glyphein.mailforce.net>
Enviado: viernes, 6 de abril de 2018 16:39
Para: tls@ietf.org
Asunto: Re: [TLS] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-tls-tls13-24

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018, at 8:10 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:
The table stakes have increased,

Exactly.

and I don't think it is reasonable any more for any IETF protocol to have "just
use ASCII" for text messages.  It could be UTF8, or it could be codeset/tagged.
 Why two developers in, say, Russia need to speak English to debug their TLS
implementations.

Viktor rightly points out that in this situation the developer is the consumer.
 As the Internet exponentially expands-often in ways we're not always able to
posit ahead of time-the base of developers exponentially expands.  The IETF
shouldn't be sanguine about the possibility that at some point the number of
those developers who do not speak English will reach a critical mass that is
able to start eschewing protocols that it finds too mired in US-ASCII.

I would ask anybody who would say it could never happen how sure they are of
that assertion.

Thanks,
Stan