On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 12:08 PM Hubert Kario <hka...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Browsers are the only software that use browser's implementation of
> certificate
> verification and revocation.
>
> And while they are significant users of TLS, they're definitely not the
> only important users of TLS.

In the context of the thread, it’s hopefully clear I was not trying to
argue they are the only important user, but rather, a demonstration of a
practical alternative to deliver this information.

That said, on platforms like Apple’s *OS family (mac/i/tv), and, to a
lesser extent, Windows and Android, such distribution _is_ system wide, and
TLS-using applications, including non-browser, don’t need to take any
special action.

It’s really only in Linux that there isn’t some form of system-wide
capability available, and although Linux remains a significant in this
space, it shouldn’t be used to preclude more holistic approaches.