From: TLS <tls-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Rob Sayre
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2023 8:20 AM
To: David Benjamin <david...@chromium.org>
Cc: TLS@ietf.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [TLS] TLS 1.2 deprecation

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 3:58 PM David Benjamin
<david...@chromium.org<mailto:david...@chromium.org>> wrote:
post_handshake_auth was only in TLS 1.3 because some folks relied on an
existing (and terrible :-) ) corresponding mechanism in TLS 1.2: trigger a
renegotiation and request a client certificate in the new handshake. I don't
think it makes sense to backport post_handshake_auth to TLS 1.2. Such a
backport would also require much more analysis than the average extension,
since it concerns authentication.

No disagreement from me. My point was only that such things are already in the
IANA registry.

thanks,
Rob