Chrome also uses this to filter the set of client certificates when asking
the user to pick one. We also sometimes use this to figure out what
intermediates to send, in cases where the server does not already have all
its intermediates available. (Though this is not very reliable and
OS-dependent. Client certificate deployments are a bit of a mess.)

Omitting it may be fine in contexts where you expect clients to only have
one possible certificate chain and that they have a priori knowledge to
only send that one. That can make sense in machine-to-machine
communication, and makes less sense when the client is a human that needs
to make decisions about identities to use.

I agree with Viktor that this isn't any more optional in TLS 1.2 than TLS
1.3. Optional and non-empty if present vs. mandatory but may be
empty express the same set of states. It's just an encoding difference,
motivated by extensibility and client/server symmetry, not changing client
certificate expectations.