On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 2:09 PM David Benjamin <david...@chromium.org> wrote:

>  It's a mess. Client certificates are the bane of my existence. :-)

It is really confusing, even for someone that knows more than most about
this stuff.

The parts that overlap for me are hardware keys (like a Yubikey or Google
Advanced Protection) and biometric stuff like FaceID. I do not have an
opinion on this one, but it is really not clear to me what is supposed to
be doing what. I wish someone would map it out, or at least document the
trade-offs.

This problem has even crossed over into pop-culture:
<https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/v4he6k> (The Snapchat Thief)

So, I think we are failing here (as a group in the IETF), but I really
don't know what the solution is.

thanks,
Rob