Hybrids by their very nature are the explosion.

If there will only ever be X-Wing, I think it's fine to not make it generic
(since we admit that it is a special case, not an instance of a generic).

However, if B-Wing (brainpool + kyber) and P-Wing (p curve + kyber) also
end up getting made, we never stopped the explosion, and we made it harder
to evaluate the security properties, and we delayed the rollout against
harvest and decrypt... for the cases where X-Wing could not fit.

Yes, we will need proofs for all those other hybrids, sounds like that will
keep people busy for a while... It feels like promising false hope to say
that making X-Wing not generic will stop all that other work from
happening... If anything, making X-Wing generic will reduce the cost of
doing the work, that seems inevitable at this point.

I do think it's important for this to not end up as "crabs in a bucket",
where each candidate holds the others back, and then they all get cooked
together.

If arguing over generic's causes that, I suggest we not make generics a
requirement.

OS

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 1:35 PM Sophie Schmieg <sschmieg=
40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> I very much appreciate having a concrete hybrid scheme that is
> intentionally not generic. This avoids the explosion of ciphertext suites
> that would otherwise occur, and allows for better compatibility of
> libraries. Fixing the key sizes to ML-KEM 768 and X25519 is aligned with
> our preferred choices as well, and further increases interoperability.
>
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 9:31 AM Salz, Rich <rsalz=
> 40akamai....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to echo Bas to highlight that X-Wing is not generic to any
>> IND-CCA KEM, it is a particular primitive construction based on the
>> internal construction of ML-KEM in particular:
>>

>> I don’t think it’s our place to try to shoe-horn everything into one
>> construct.  Particularly when we are in the experimentation phase of things.
>>

>> If people want to have ML-KEM as a material in their composites, it
>> sounds like they might want to learn from X-Wing, but not try to chop them
>> to fit into that one keyhole, as it were.

> --
>
> Sophie Schmieg | Information Security Engineer | ISE Crypto |
> sschm...@google.com

ORIE STEELE
Chief Technology Officer
www.transmute.industries