on V2.3 right now, how do I set the pane scrollback to some value like
3000?  and is it possible to have different scrollback values for
different panes?

And I'd like some explanation of what's going on here please....

I had a 2 pane window and in one I was compiling tmux and the other
was running irssi chat client; the scrollback for the compilation was
something like 2000 lines while the irssi had only 30-40 lines though
the session was fairly active with 1000s of lines of scrolling text.

Shouldn't the tmux pane be holding all the chat stuff in the
scrollback buffer?

sivaram