Always happens, and occurs whether there are splits or not splits. I do
notice it more if there are splits.
Neither eval `resize` or kill -WINCH $$ fixes it.
TERM inside is screem-256color, outside is xterm-256color

I tried xfce terminal and roxterm.

pastebin of my /tmux.conf is http://pastebin.com/ZXyuA6EK  however
temporarily changing it's name so I use the default .tmux.conf file doesn't
fix the issue, fwiw.

I'm on Linux Mint 17, it's an Ubuntu based distro.
uname -a  gives me
Linux lawrence-ThinkPad-T530 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2
23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Lawrence Siebert

About Me: http://about.me/lawrencesiebert
Constantly Coding: http://constantcoding.blogspot.com