Having a `.editorconfig` file in our repository can make it a lot easier to
maintain a consistent style (between people using different editors with
different settings, etc). For people who don’t use an editorconfig plugin for
their editor, it will make no difference.

For more details, see http://editorconfig.org/

Attached is a patch containing a basic editorconfig file (that I’ve been using
in my own copy of the tmux repository). It works quite well. We could
potentially add more rules to the file later.