It’s a plugin that supports all the most popular editors (emacs, vim, sublime
text, atom, code::blocks, … and 13 others). It’s also going to be built in to
JetBrains 9 (not that that’s really relevant in this case, but it does show
that it’s becoming more popular).

There are a fair number of other open source projects using it (see
https://github.com/editorconfig/editorconfig/wiki/Projects-Using-EditorConfig),
including some pretty big / popular ones like the zsh project
(http://sourceforge.net/p/zsh/code/ci/master/tree/.editorconfig) and Bootstrap
(https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/blob/master/.editorconfig).

It’s not critical, but it’s convenient for people who work on multiple open
source projects with different conventions. For example, I work on C/C++
repositories that use hard tabs with a tab width of 8, 4 spaces, and 2 spaces.
Switching between the projects/repositories, it’s super convenient if my editor
automatically configures itself for the code base I’m currently working on. And
this can’t really be handled by modifying the .vimrc file (or equivalent), and
it shouldn’t be, because that specifies defaults to be applied to a certain
filetype in general — it’s not supposed to be project-specific.

Using an .editorconfig file does streamline the process for contributors to get
started. If this isn’t a problem for many people, then I guess it’s not worth
putting in the repo. It’s up to you guys…

Regards,
Anish

On Oct 23, 2014, at 11:50 AM, Nicholas Marriott