On 7 Jun 2005 at 8:14, Andrew McDonald wrote:

>> Are
>> you going to attempt to use TnFOX with mingw? ))
>
> My alternatives are mingw, and bcc 5.5 and I've just downloaded the
> Visual C++ Toolkit.

There's only build support included for ICC and MSVC on Windows, and
GCC and ICC on POSIX. A lot of the build system is hardcoded to
assume that if it's GCC, it must be a POSIX system. I'm not hugely
willing to change this - GCC never did fit into win32 well and
without a lot of work never will. Only masochists try getting it to
reliably interoperate with windows code which uses a different
executable binary format and ABI and symbol mangling.

Besides, there are plenty of free-as-in-money quality compilers for
win32 nowadays. You even get a free quality debugger from MS in the
form of WinDbg.

> I saw your post in foxgui-users and you mentioned needing a computer
> with 1GB RAM, I assume it is needed for the python tests!!??

Rather it's to build the bindings. My machine uses about 1.2Gb of RAM
during linking.

> My box is an AthlonXP 1800 w/ 256MB RAM, will it take days?

Almost certainly yes. Now that the bindings are complete, memory
usage is likely to grow even further. I may investigate partial
linking as even on my machine, MSVC's link is O(log n) so if one
could halve the symbol number, you substantially decrease link time.

Cheers,
Niall