Is it possible to have per user rules with SpamAssassin in this
configuration (ie using vpopmail)? If so, how do I do this?

I use the vdelivermail - spamassassin + maildrop patches that I recently posted here on the list for vpopmail. Then, I run spamassassin with preferences in MySQL. Lastly, I add the sasql plugin to squirrelmail so that users can edit their preferences there.

Hmm.. this is all getting rather complicated for little me. Thanks very much for all your help but I'm coming to the conclusion that I'll probably have to use a commercial product. As my colleague always says "Linux is only free if your time has no value" - and I've already spent 3 evenings trying to get the various parts to work properly and now I find it can't even filter mail into folders. <sigh>

Nick...