Thank you.  That was key.  I found I had a permission denied and found out
file ownership of /var/log/clamd/* was an unknown user.  I corrected it
and the process is no longer defunct.   I have another issue with clam
(possibly), but I will open a new thread for it as it is different from
this issue.
Thanks,
John