> If it works out-of-box with jikes 1.12, then awesome! (I've had problems
> with 1.12 because of the multibyte encoding changes between 1.11 and 1.12)

I use it with jikes most of the time.  If you are on unix, you can
use an .antrc and
 ANT_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler=jikes"

BTW, if you are an expert ( or know how to use :-) autoconf, it would be
really great to contribute an autoconf script for mod_jk ( and mod_warp
when ready ).

I also think some of the features of autoconf ( like looking for a package
in multiple places ) are very nice - for a while ( when I had more time
) I tried to port some of them to ant.

Another intersting project ( if you prefer makefiles ) is to write a
simple XSL stylesheet to convert from Ant build.xml to a makefile.
I think ( hope ) most of the ant tasks can be easily converted to the
make equivalent ( java, cp, mkdir, etc ) and in the worse case a small
"java runAntTask foo " can deal with the rest of the tasks.

( I like and use ant, but it's just a tool - and everyone should use
whatever tools work best for him )