On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > If it works out-of-box with jikes 1.12, then awesome! (I've had problems
> > with 1.12 because of the multibyte encoding changes between 1.11 and 1.12)
>
> I use it with jikes most of the time.  If you are on unix, you can
> use an .antrc and
>  ANT_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler=jikes"
>
> BTW, if you are an expert ( or know how to use :-) autoconf, it would be
> really great to contribute an autoconf script for mod_jk ( and mod_warp
> when ready ).

I'll look into it.

> I also think some of the features of autoconf ( like looking for a package
> in multiple places ) are very nice - for a while ( when I had more time
> ) I tried to port some of them to ant.

That would be VERY cool.

> Another intersting project ( if you prefer makefiles ) is to write a
> simple XSL stylesheet to convert from Ant build.xml to a makefile.
> I think ( hope ) most of the ant tasks can be easily converted to the
> make equivalent ( java, cp, mkdir, etc ) and in the worse case a small
> "java runAntTask foo " can deal with the rest of the tasks.

Yes, I mentioned something like this earlier. And when I say make I should
clarify that I mean gmake, which is far more flexible than SysV make

> ( I like and use ant, but it's just a tool - and everyone should use
> whatever tools work best for him )
>
> Costin

As you could probably already figure, I'm becoming an Ant convert. The
thing that broke the whole log jam for me was that I can continue to
use jikes, which turns a project that takes 1 hour to compile with javac
into 10 minutes with Jikes.

--
Nicolaus Bauman