Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Hi all,
> Attached is a JSP Sample file which generates WML. It works with no problems on
>Tomcat3.1, but
> fails miserably with the latest dev nightly snapshot and m4. Can someone shed light?

Well, your page certainly doesn't work under Tomcat 4.0 (which implements JSP 1.2).
Furthermore, it
*should* not.

Because you are starting this page with an <?xml version="1.0"?> directive, the JSP
compiler assumes that
you have created this page in the XML syntax for JSP pages, as described in the 1.2
spec
<http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/download.html>.  However, this page violates several
of the rules:
* It does not start with a <jsp:root> element (this is
  what the parse error is complaining about).
* It uses <% %> for a scriptlet, instead of the
  required <jsp:scriptlet> element.

You will need to rewrite your page conforming to the new syntax rules in order for it
to work correctly
under 4.0.

> Thanks in advance,
> dims
>
> PS: Am not currently subscribed to the list. So please CC me at "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Craig McClanahan

PS:  Why did it work under 3.1?  Because 3.1 didn't support the XML syntax, so it just
passed the <?xml?>
directive through as template text.