Works for me.  Every mime-type usually lays claim to a default suffix
or two and we should definitely pick one and say that there is an
implicit mapping for that prefix.  So if I name my pages jspx then I
don't have to worry about setting any mappings to get a JSP container
to interpret the page as a JSP page written in XML.  We should also do
this for regular old JSP itself.

So here's my proposal:

JSP 1.2 engines have mime type mappings like so (or something like
this):

 *.jsp -> application/jsp
 *.jspx -> application/jsp-xml

And documents of type application/jsp and application/jspx (or
whatever names we decide on) are handled appropriately by default
without any special web.xml constructs.

This will also enable one to author a mime-type based servlet filter
that can operate on JSP pages in a standard way.

--
Tom Reilly
Allaire Corp.