> What about spliting the package - /opt/tomcat for the JARs,
> /var/log/tomcat for tomcat logs, /home/httpd/webapps for webapps ?

Up to redhat 6.2, /home/httpd was the serverroot. Config goes
to /etc/httpd/conf and misc logs in /var/log/httpd.

> It would be nice to have a standard - what are the options ( i.e. what
> rules does RedHat/Debian/etc follow ? )
>
> In our case we should also look at how Apache is installed, since we
> have
> to integrate with it - the webapps should sit close to the static pages
> ( is it /home/httpd or /var/httpd ? ).

But with Redhat 7.0 ServerRoot goes now in /var/www. Redhat decided to follow
the normal way since /home is reserved for Real Users use.

> Not an easy task you have, Henri :-)

May be easier than writing a servlet engine core ;-}

> > The .spec file included is a little outdated (date from TC 3.1 I
> think)
> > The others stuff is logrotate and init stuff. Usefull things when in
> > productions ;-)
>
> Yes, I know. Can you update them / check the new stuff in ?

Sure, I'll do in tomcat_32 and tomcat_33
May be also in tomcat_4.

I'll ask now to Redhat users and expert of Linux FHS to send their advices.