Hi Brad,
Interesting articles.

I agree with most of your discussion of the disadvantages of JSP/ASP/etc,
but I believe your solution does not address a fundamental problem, which
is the complete separation of presentation resources from presentation logic.

Having the HTML embedded in a java class may be suitable for small
applications
built by engineers but does not address the vast majority of applications
where designers work on HTML using many different HTML editing tools
while developers work on the application logic in Java using various IDEs and
editors.

Having the HTML and Java mixed together whether it is in a JSP file or in a
servlet
with multiline strings is a maintanence problem.
It becomes difficult for designers to change the layout or developers to
change the
logic without walking all over each other.
These mixed files are also problematic for many design or development tools.

A superior approach is to completely separate the HTML presetation from the
Java logic as is done in XMLC (the Enhydra XML Compiler).
With XMLC, HTML (as well as any XML resource such as WML, cHTML,
XHTML, VoiceML, etc) files are compiled into Java class files that use the
W3C (World Wide Web Consortioum)'s DOM (Document Ovject Model) standard
to represent the document.  The developer can then manipulate the presentation

directly from within the Java presentation logic.

After 4+ years of working with templating languages (including one we wrote
that
predates JSP), we have found this to be a vastly superior way to develop web
applications.

Please take a look at:
http://www.enhydra.org
and
http://xmlc.enhydra.org
for more information.

XMLC is open source and freely available.

Shawn

Brad Cox wrote:

> I've uploaded an early rough draft of a pair of articles that boils
> down to a critique of the JSP approach plus source code for a quite
> different approach. I'd be very interested in feedback... of the
> constructive variety, of course ;)
>
> The articles are at http://virtualschool.edu/wap
> --
> ---
> Dr. Brad Cox; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Phone: 703 361 4751 Fax: 703 995 0422 Cellular: 703 919-9623
> http://superdistributed.com: A new paradigm for a new millinneum
> PGP Signature: E194 C6E5 92D8 B8FB 20E8  8667 929A 95A0 FCB6 7C62

Shawn McMurdo              mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lutris Technologies        http://www.lutris.com
Enhydra.Org                http://www.enhydra.org