Right on. HTML-in-Java vs. Java-in-HTML is a silly argument AFAIK.
Neither's a very good solution long-term. The Java-in-HTML makes it
near-impossible for designers to collaborate with coders, while the
HTML-in-Java has that problem, plus the code bloat problem (the bytecode
format will choke on overly large HTML strings in classes), and the fact
that it's just a bitch to edit HTML inside Java files. The author of
FreeMarker or WebMacro wrote an article on this subject a while back.

Our chosen solution is to generate XML and style it with XSL. The only
thing missing from that picture is a really solid XSL designer integrated
with a well-known editor like Dreamweaver. Given that, your designers can
work 100% independently of the coders, and you get many other benefits in
the bargain, like ability to morph your sites appearance to the needs of
the incoming browser and ability to publish XML-only Web services using
the same content.

regards,
kd