At 07:22  12/1/01 -0600, Nick Bauman wrote:
>Somewhat unrelated, I hear a lot of people going gaga over XSLT for web
>development. I understand the desire: a single document represents the
>data of the page, while other documents are used to convert that data for
>different clients / views with an emphasis on content seperation from
>presentation logic.

>But AFAIK, this is only 1/2 the battle. I still have business logic which
>cannot be handled in the XSLT code. Add the amount of work just to get the
>presentation away from the content in a standards-compliant fashion
>(work in both a human and a computer terms) isn't worth it unless, say, I
>was going to implement web, WAP and Palm OS views for the Library of
>Congress or the Human Genome Project. But all that just for Acme Widgets,
>who has, at the most, 2000 products.

Have a look at Cocoon - it's got the early stages of it going through. True
it is still too complex but as it matures I think it will come down to a
reasonable level of complexity thou I mainly worked with XML so I may be
biased ;)

Plain XML + XSLT is not a possibility (if you have the slightest concern
for performance) but with various generation techniques (like XSP - cocoons
answer to asp/jsp) combined with enforced separation of concerns (ie set a
flag to disable embedded logic and only go through taglibs) it could
definetly be a good option for the future.

Cheers,

Pete