Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 1/12/01 11:49 AM, "Tomas Rokicki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > With the solution we're deploying in-house here, your dynamic row
> > example is just

> > which is editable in WYSIWYG HTML editors, contains no Java code,
> > and so on . . . the magic %tr ...% tells it to iterate on table rows.
> >
> > Oh, but of course it's YATL so I'll shut up now.  (It compiles down
> > to JSPs.)
>
> Exactly. JSP alone didn't solve your problem. You had to do YATL in order to
> get it to do what you want. That just seems odd to me.

So did you Jon ... it's called Velocity :-)

JSP, as Tomas points out, is a low level toolkit, on top of which you can build
higher level constructs (with custom tags).  For example, the Struts-based
equivalent of your example is (where "parameters" is a bean in some scope that
is a Collection, a Map, or an array):

    <logic:iterate id="parameter" name="parameters">
    </logic:iterate>

One can edit this stuff by hand if you want, but we're also starting to see IDE
tools that understand this stuff -- complete with popping up dialong boxes to
populate the appropriate attributes -- in the same way the IDE tools for
building JavaBeans took much of the drudgery out of that process.

But, of course, Jon and I go *way* back on this particular topic :-).

> -jon

Craig