Hi Costin,

I looked at the code at (one long line)

http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/jakarta-tomcat/src/share/org/apac
he/jasper/compiler/CommandLineCompiler.java?rev=1.6&content-type=text/vnd.vi
ewcvs-markup

The mangleChar() method seems to have the old code that encodes as _xxxxx
where x
is an hex digit. If I understand the code correctly, this is where we need
to make the patch.

If this is solved somewhere else, please send me pointer so I can give it a
try.

In case we need to write a new encoding method, here are some possible
requirements, I am not sure which of them are relevant and which are not.

1. The encoding of any path should be unique.
2. The file name without the '.class' extension) should be a valid Java
class name.
3. The encoding should be intuitive.
4. The encoding should be compact, at least for common chars.
5. The encoding should support JSP name with Unicode chars.
6. Runtime efficiency. The current encoding for example creates 3 object for
each mangled char.

Any comment from members of the list will be greatly appreciated.

Tal