Quoting Jon Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> on 1/19/01 11:51 AM, "Craig R. McClanahan"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Agreed ... I'm talking about the *Apache Tomcat* release cycle, where
> we
> > agreed in the release plan to have a feature freeze / bug fix round on
> 4.0,
> > and work towards a production quality release quickly.  API surgery is
> not
> > something normally done late in a cycle like this.  That is why it
> needs to be
> > discussed (and voted on, IMHO) before we change what was previously
> agreed to
> > on TOMCAT-DEV.
>
> I thought that this is what we are discussing right now. :-) I'm +1 on
> doing
> API surgery at this point...

Ok, I've thought about the issue, and I don't really like the change from
Valves to Filters, because I have the following concerns :
- Valves are internal. They access internal objects. Making them filters will
lead to more typecasting and more rtti.
- I'd like a clarification on how much response and request wrapping would
occur. Basically, all internal filters should be able to mutate freely either
the request object or the response object by typecasting the request and the
response. I don't see anything preventing this if we're inside the servlet
container (except what the servlet API says).

Do you think either of these is justified ?

Remy